born on 2 December 1797, Haverthwaite, England
died on 15 August 1869, Haverthwaite,England
 
BarkerJohn2comp.jpg
©   Kurt Müller 2017
UK-Flagge.gif
FlaggeBRDklein.jpg
UK-Flagge.gif
FlaggeBRDklein.jpg
Homepage auf
Deutsch
 
UK-Flagge.gif
UK-Flagge.gif
UK-Flagge.gif
US-Flagge.gif
Homepage in
English
 
2DSC04327 (30).jpg
BarkerJohn2eks

John Barker

BlueEyesMs

Entry in the Dickson family album, by his daughter Harriett:

Now a

listed building

, Broughton Lodge was built in the early 1780s for John Birch, the director of the Backbarrow Cotton Mill. The mill was a big textile factory which in 1797, John Barker's year of birth, employed 310 workers. See the extended description of the mill and its business by historian Ronald Mein: "

History of the Whitewater

", with a fine painting of the Mill in 1860. It was established in 1782 and owned by Birch and 3 co-owners, among them for some years John Barker's father

Daye Barker

(until the dissolution of their partnership in 1799). Later Birch became bankrupt, and the house was "peremptorily sold" in 1808. At this sale it was described as a "modern, elegant mansion" (as John Humphreys reports). Many years later, in 1849 or before, Broughton Lodge was bought by John Barker and stayed in the Barker family until 1901.

born on 2nd December 1797 in Haverthwaite, England
died on 15th August 1869 in Haverthwaite, England
 
John Barker was a son of

Daye Barker

and Elizabeth Sandys.

He married

Marianne Cunliffe

on 3rd June 1840;
the couple had 8 children, among them

Harriett Barker

,
Robin and Katya Müller's great-great-grandmother.

P1140600.Broughton Lodge.2.kl
Aussen7_CCL_Geograph_KappMESk
Aussen6_CCL_Geograph_Kapp_2

Above and below: Broughton Lodge today ( © Copyright

Alexander P Kapp

and licensed for

reuse

under  

Creative Commons Licence

). The building is now converted into flats and semi-detached houses.

Together with the other inhabitants of Broughton Lodge, John Barker appears in the census for 1851 (see below) and 1861. As his employment we find "gunpowder manufacturer". He continued the business started by his father

Daye Barker

.

1851_Harriet_E_Barker_Broughton_Lodge_census_Mesk
Click
here
to view a tree of John and Marianne
Barker's
descendants
 
UK-Flagge.gif
FlaggeBRDklein.jpg
UK-Flagge.gif
FlaggeBRDklein.jpg
Diese Seite auf
Deutsch
 
Family history Müller - Humphreys

Left: there seems to have been

another farm or manor

belonging to Broughton Lodge, called "

Black Beck Hall

", Ayside (not to be confused with the Benson and Dickson families' site "

Black Beck

"). In 2006 it was

demolished

in favour of the

A590 bypass road

. This

site

seems to have existed since 1630 as a farm and, from an unknown date on, belonged to Broughton Lodge which was about 2 miles away. It seems to have been extended to something bigger, possibly manor- like, in the late 18th or in the 19th century.

BlackBeckHallE
 
RidehalghMrs_Kopie

Above:
Mrs. Ridehalgh, who lived at Broughton Lodge about mid-20th century and famously had an impressive grand car.

1895.DicksonAmy.Ida.BarkerAliceDaye

Below: Harriett Barker's daughters Amy and Ida Dickson (right and left), with their cousin Alice Daye Barker, at Broughton Lodge

P1140600 caption.kl2
Caption below the picture in
Harriett Barker's family album

John Barker and his family lived at

BROUGHTON LODGE

(above in a picture from Harriett Barker's days).

"Which once belonged to John Barker esqu. & was sold by his son

", says the caption. The whole estate was sold by John Daye Barker, Harriett Barker's brother, in 1901 who then lived at the Army and Navy Club, Pall Mall in the County of Middlesex

(Source: "Black Beck Hall, Ayside, Cumbria: Archaeological Building Recording", Greenlane Archeology 2006)
DescendantsGraphSW4

An - incomplete - tree of the descendants of John and Marianne Barker
(with all of their 8 children and part of their grand- and great-grandchildren)

X

 
BildschirmPfeilweissinvert
menue_button_neu_40_30
Menu